Friday, January 1, 2010

The Golf Ball 2K10 from a Pro's perspective...

Got the following email last week and thought it had a good perspective on competition, the new groove rules and it's impact on balls:

These sentiments by you are sounding like the Penta ball is TM's answer to a softer, balata clone that will deal with or be their option for those that will be forced to use non-aggressive groove wedges. Most of what you are describing in your blog about the Penta ball appears to be very similar to balata ball performance characteristics.

Just from one day of short game testing with the Bridgestone e7, it is obvious that this ball's drawback is the lack of spin around the green. Almost impossible to impart enough spin for delicate touch shots. Most people who are up in arms about the USGA conditions of competition groove rule, to me, are clueless to just what impact this rule will have on wedge play. Without enough spin, many shots from 100 yards and in are going to be impossible to hit well. Especially shots close to the hole where the ball is nestled down in longish grass. Those shots were extremely difficult with balata balls, let alone, with whatever the OEMs come up with today and in the future. No way could I hit shots with the e7 that I can hit with a Titleist Pro V1.

I'm looking forward to the Penta TP, I'm sure it will perform beautifully with those shots around the green, especially with my MD groove Cally tour wedges. But, dealing with my reality of less clubhead speed, I will have to lean towards insuring enough distance, especially off the tee, than having ultimate spin for delicate lobs and pitch shots. Fortunately I'm very adept at short game shots around the green. The RX sounds like a ball that may address both issues well for me, so I'm very anxious now to play with that ball.

I can see having to switch balls when playing with non-aggressive grooves, but, I don't think that will be a huge issue as long as I'm playing with other senior players. Against the kids, I need plenty of roll off the tee and a hot putter. This year will be an interesting one for me. I'm either going to be able to take all this technology and excel as a competitor or be sadly and rudely disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment