Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Picking out shafts in irons....

...many years ago the Lady (former lpga tour player) who tried to teach me the game signed on with MacGregor. I had just edged over the line to single digit land and was ready (so I thought) for some real playas irons.. convinced her to get Mac to get me a set of 1025 cm's with some flighted rifle shafts. She invited me to play one Monday with one of the Pros that Macgregor sponsored and he told me something I have largely ignored (of course) but have confirmed with a few OEM execs and sponsored players over the years. That is that a lot of thought and research goes into the shaft selection of every set of retail irons.. the shafts are not for everyone, but I know a former nation am champion who now just buys them off the rack. His thinking is that with all the CAD and rocket scientists the OEMs have working for them they do a very fine job of matching shafts and heads together..Often I have thought, "why don't they offer ZXY shafts in these".. only to find out why, later on when I can't seem to generate enough (or I get too much) spin with my 8i... there are other issues as well, but much of my second guessing of the OEM engineers has been a mistake on my part....now that I am playing 85 gram graphite shafts I have eliminated sore hands and elbow/shoulder. They are not stock but they were offered in custom by Callaway. Still would like to play some irons with 850 nippons as they have been a favorite of a few guys who play some real fine golf.

No comments:

Post a Comment