Friday, December 11, 2009

Adjusting Lofts

Most everyone knows how important correct lie angles are..too flat and you'll be going right (assuming you are in the majority and right handed-- trust me, I feel for you lefties) no matter how "good" your swing is.. Lies too upright?...you pull 'em... but how about loft? Important to consider changes in bounce angles and weighting but I've never gotten used to a 45 degree PW for a few reasons and so think this through a little with me.. 1 degree of loft adjusted will add or subtract 3-4 yards for the average decent player but what I have found (courtesy of one of TaylorMade's execs) is that  weakening loft a bit increases spin andhelps us to be more accurate and hold greens better.. I played Taylor Burner's for the past two years.. Tour Burners and then the 09 "set is dead" version.. no problems with the TB's except they were harsh and the 09 Burners felt super and had a great sole grind. When I got the PW up to 47 was able to not run through greens as I was when I was hitting into flags with a 45 degree PW or a 41 degree 9i (etc.).. So without going on and on about the nuances of tinkering with lofts, if you find that you are getting too much "rollout' with your short irons, think about sacrificing a couple of yards for shots that stay close to where they land... helped me out a lot... for you 110+ swingspeed studs this is meaningless other than perhaps the reverse may hold true. Everyone has a optimal launch angle and some work at a great fitting center will give you all the info you'll need to get that dialed in.... or be like me and just try bending your irons. BTW-the easiest way I know to make sure your lies are correct is to pay attention to your divots.. they should be symmetrical essentially and nice evenly cut rectangle. Check yours out on the range where it's flat or take them into your local shop now and then and make sure that bad case of the lefts you've got is not just a set that's too upright...

No comments:

Post a Comment